Introducing the “NEW” Prince Edward Agricultural Society LOGOpicton-fair-logo-final-transparent

The Prince Edward Agricultural Society is celebrating the 180th Anniversary of the Picton Fair in 2015. We want to make this a “special” event.

A new logo has been designed by i catching designs – Tina Konecny and will be formally introduced at the 2015 Fair.

 

A brief history of the new LOGO:

In recognition of the Picton Fair’s early history with horse racing and the historical Crystal Palace we have designed this new logo. By the 1830s, Picton had become a nucleus of a flourishing agricultural community, due to its strategic position on the Bay of Quinte.  In 1831 the Prince Edward Agricultural Society was established and the goal was to focus on the betterment of crops and livestock.  In 1836 the Agricultural Society, held their first fair on the grounds of the Prince Edward Driving Park Association (the current fair location), which sponsored horse races.  The original purpose of the Picton Fair was to provide an opportunity for farmers to meet , compare and promote their wares.

The Picton Driving Park began in 1877 after the fall fair. The grandstand was constructed after the first race they hosted as they wanted to secure the running of the Queen’s Plate. In the book, The Queens Plate, 1st 100 years there is mention of the 20th running of the 1879 Queen’s Plate race in Picton, it is said that this was were the bookmaker made their first appearance on Canadian tracks.  In 1886 the Prince Edward Agricultural Society bought the present fair grounds from the racing club. Due to financial difficulty, which led to County Council buying the property, the Agricultural Society, was prevented from holding the fair from 1930 to 1933 (4 years).

In 1920 the Prince Edward Old Boys Club erected the entrance to the fairgrounds. It remains as a tribute to the people who made “The County Fair” the 4th largest fair in Ontario from1900 – 1920.  Harness racing was introduced at the turn of the 20th Century and continued to be a highlight of the Picton Fair until the mid 1950s with demonstrations until the late 1970s.